Lakshadweep Vs Maldives: Many Indians are now canceling their Maldives trips and opting for Lakshadweep. In this situation, let’s find out what tourist attractions are there in Maldives and Lakshadweep – what are the places to visit in these two locations? What are the travel expenses for each island?
Table of Contents
Lakshadweep or Maldives – which will be the destination for Indians who want to explore the sea? A heated debate has started on this. After visiting Lakshadweep last week, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed enthusiasm for the tourism there.
Subsequently, an astonishing reaction has come from the direction of Maldives. Criticizing India and Prime Minister Modi, several government officials in Maldives have claimed that instead of attracting tourists from Maldives, Modi seems to be diverting attention to Lakshadweep.
The result is quite the opposite. Many Indians are now canceling their Maldives trips and opting for Lakshadweep. In this situation, let’s find out what tourist attractions are there in Maldives and Lakshadweep – what are the places to visit in these two locations? What is the travel cost for each island?
Lakshadweep Vs Maldives: Sightseeing Places
Lakshadweep has a total of 36 islands, while in the Maldives, there are a total of 300 islands, including private resorts and personal atolls.
In the Maldives, you’ll find a unique harmony between naturally formed coral atolls or islands, creating a perfect blend of marine life and human civilization – a rare sight in the world.
Some important destinations to cover are:
Sightseeing Places in the Maldives:
- Male: The capital city of the country. This city is adorned with numerous colorful buildings and mosques. The city is surrounded by numerous water sports spots.
- Maafushi: This is an attractive seaside location and renowned for the Maafushi Prison. At this fantastic spot, you can have a good time snorkeling, leisurely walks on sandy beaches, or just soaking up the sun without any techy stuff involved.
- Hithadhoo: Located in the Addu City, this area spans 5.3 square miles. Hithadhoo is famous worldwide for its natural parks and conservation efforts.
Sightseeing Places in Lakshadweep:
- Minicoy Island: The beaches on Minicoy Island in Lakshadweep are well-known for their untouched beauty.. Additionally, the island is abundant with coral reefs.
- Kavaratti: The capital city of the Union Territory, Kavaratti, is surrounded by natural wonders from all sides. The city is surrounded by numerous lagoons. Facilities like scuba diving and aquarium tours are available here.
- Kadmat Island: This place is surrounded by abundant coral reefs. It is suitable for snorkeling and tours to witness marine life around the island.
Lakshadweep Vs Maldives: Best time to Visit
The best time for travel is near the equator, as both places have tropical climates. In the Maldives, you can expect temperatures to be around 23 to 31 degrees Celsius, providing a warm tropical feel. Over in Lakshadweep, the weather usually hangs out between 20 to 30 degrees Celsius, making it a nice and mild climate for your visit.
The prime time for travel to the Maldives is from November to April. The period between December and March witnesses the highest influx of tourists. For Lakshadweep, the ideal time to visit is from October to May. To explore the entire Maldives, it may take a minimum of 7 to 10 days. On the other hand, you can explore Lakshadweep comfortably within 5-6 days.
Lakshadweep Vs Maldives: Currency and Budget
The currency of the Maldives is known as the Maldivian Rufiyaa. 1 Maldivian Rufiyaa is equivalent to approximately 4.63 Indian Rupees. As Lakshadweep is a centrally administered region of India, the Indian Rupee is widely accepted here.
Average Budget for a Trip to the Maldives:
- Flight Cost: The cost for a round-trip ticket for two people is around 30,000 Indian Rupees.
- Accommodation Cost: The price for a lavish hotel’s double-bed room can vary, ranging between 7,000 to 10,000 Indian Rupees.
- Food Expenses per day: Minimum 1,000 INR.
- Cost for Sightseeing Places per day: 4,500 INR.
- Other Expenses: 5,000 INR.
So, the average daily expense for a couple on a trip to the Maldives is around 17,500 INR.
Average Budget for a Trip to Lakshadweep:
- Flight Cost: Estimated 20,000 INR for a round-trip for two from Kochi to Lakshadweep.
- Accommodation Cost: The price for a lavish hotel’s double-bed room can vary, ranging between 2,000 to 7,000 Indian Rupees.
- Food Expenses per day: 300 INR.
- Cost for Sightseeing Places per day: 2,000 INR.
- Other Expenses: 3,000 INR.
Therefore, the average daily expense for a couple on a trip to Lakshadweep is around 7,300 INR.
Lakshadweep Vs Maldives: Visa Requirements
In the Maldives, Indian nationals are granted visa on arrival. Relax, there’s no need to stress about getting a visa before your trip. In the Maldives, they hand you a 30-day visa on arrival. All you require is a passport with a validity of at least 6 months. Plus, Indian nationals don’t need a visa to explore the beautiful Lakshadweep Islands.
Lakshadweep Vs Maldives: Shopping
The shopping paradise is the Maldives. Starting from clothing to local traditions, items for home decor, and traditional crafts, you can find it all. For shopping, the local markets and Maajehdhee Magu are the two main destinations.
Although shopping opportunities in Lakshadweep are limited, you can still purchase coconut jaggery, coconut oil, fish biscuits, and frozen fish from the previous islands, Kavaratti, and Minicoy.
In the Maldives, the primary modes of transportation are bikes and bicycles. Almost all guesthouses and resorts offer complimentary bikes or bicycles. Tourists can explore the islands using these. For travel between other islands, ferries and speedboats are required.
In Lakshadweep, the sole means of transportation is by ship. There are no roads connecting the islands. So, the main ways to get around are ships, boats, and ferries.
What’s your decision? Lakshadweep or Maldives, where to go?
how to go to lakshadweep from india
To get to Lakshadweep Island, you can use either ships or flights that operate from Kochi. Essentially, Kochi is the main entry point for tourists heading to Lakshadweep. If you’re specifically interested in Agatti and Bangaram islands, you can reach them by taking a flight from Kochi, with Indian Airlines providing the air services.
Which is larger in terms of land area Lakshadweep vs Maldives size?
Lakshadweep is a group of islands, and its total land area is around 32 square kilometers.
On the other hand, the Maldives is a larger archipelago with a total land area of approximately 298 square kilometers.
Lakshadweep or Maldives which is better for holiday tourism?
Lakshadweep isn’t trying to be better than the Maldives. Both are special in their own ways. Lakshadweep has its unique significance for India, not just for holidays but for various reasons beyond tourism.
Do I need a passport for Lakshadweep if I’m traveling from India?
If you’re a government official, part of the armed forces, or their family, you’re exempt from needing a passport. However, for foreign tourists, having a valid passport and an Indian visa is a must for entry into India, which includes Lakshadweep.
What is Lakshadweep vs Maldives Controversy?
Some people are thinking of not going to the Maldives for a holiday. This happened because three officials from the Maldives made fun of India’s Prime Minister, Narendra Modi. Now, many Indians, including celebrities, are saying, “Let’s not go to the Maldives; we can enjoy beautiful beaches in our own country instead.”
Is Lakshadweep bigger than Maldives?
No, in the ongoing “Lakshadweep vs Maldives Controversy,” it’s important to note that Lakshadweep is not bigger than Maldives. Maldives is bigger than Lakshadweep, having more land and people, even though both are tropical island groups.